How to Care for your Lawn in Between Landscape Visits
Maintaining your lawn between landscaping appointments is crucial. Lawns that are not looked after properly are at risk of becoming unhealthy and failing, no matter how much landscape work is put into them.
Follow these tips to keep your lawn in the best shape possible between landscape visits!
- Instead of watering your lawn daily, water deeply 2-3 times per week. Daily watering makes grass develop a shallow root system, whereas a deep root system from watering deeply 3 times per week will make it stronger and more drought-resistant.
- Over the week, your lawn needs at least 1”-1 ½” of water, even during the winter.
- When possible, you should water as early in the morning as possible to ensure that the lawn will dry before nightfall.
- If you have an automatic sprinkler, be sure to check it regularly to be sure it is working and calibrated properly.
In the summer heat, short lawns are more apt to die out, as they have shallow root systems and are more prone to weed infestation. Taller grass is able to develop a deeper root system, allowing it to shade the soil surface to keep it cooler and prevent weed seeds from germinating. Knowing the proper mowing height can help avoid problems due to drought stress during extreme heat and in controlling weeds.
- During midsummer, the grass height should never be less than 2 to 2.5 inches.
- During drought periods, raising the mower height to 3 to 3.5 inches will provide a better chance of survival.
Lawns with heat and/or drought stress should be cut no more frequently than every 10 days. Some areas with drought stress should avoid the mower altogether.
Need help? Contact the professionals at Gallivan Corporation to properly take care of your landscaping needs.
- Winterize Your Landscape with Gallivan Corporation
- How to Ensure Your Landscape is Deer-Resistant
- Install the Outdoor Kitchen of Your Dreams with Gallivan Corporation
- The Benefits of Aeration and Seeding
- Seasonal Maintenance Program
- Top Outdoor Design Trends
- Let Us Do the Work for You
- How to Ensure Your Space is Practical and Functional
- Our Services at Gallivan Corporation
- Envision Your Property with Gallivan’s Design Capabilities
- October 2017 (1)
- September 2017 (1)
- August 2017 (1)
- July 2017 (1)
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (1)
- April 2017 (1)
- March 2017 (1)
- February 2017 (1)
- January 2017 (1)
- December 2016 (2)
- November 2016 (2)
- October 2016 (1)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (3)
- July 2016 (2)
- June 2016 (2)
- May 2016 (2)
- January 2016 (2)
- December 2015 (2)
- November 2015 (2)
- October 2015 (2)
- September 2015 (2)
- August 2015 (2)
- July 2015 (2)
- June 2015 (1)
- May 2015 (1)
- September 2014 (1)
- August 2014 (1)
- May 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (2)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2011 (1)