The Benefits of Aeration & Seeding
The summer months are hard on your lawn. High heat, drought, and heavy foot traffic from children and pets can take their toll. To revive your lawn from these conditions, we recommend aerating and overseeding in the late summer and fall to achieve a lush landscape.
What is aeration, and why should it be done?
Aeration is the removal of thousands of small cores of soil (1-3” in length) from your lawn. This removes pressure from compacted soils, which enables oxygen and water to move freely into the root zone. The holes are then able to catch fertilizer, seed, and water, encouraging the turf roots to naturally grow and thicken in the process. The cores of soil that were removed will “melt” back into the lawn after mowing, rainfall, or use of the lawn’s irrigation system. After all is said and done, regular aeration performed once or twice a year significantly reduces thatch and improves turf growth.
Why overseed your lawn in the fall?
Overseeding – the act of planting grass seed directly into existing turf without tearing anything up – is an important step to take in the late summer. When lawns are thin, they are conductive to weed growth and overall dryness. Thatch layers of a lawn can also become so heavy that the primary root system will grow more in the thatch than in the soil below. Both of these conditions mean your lawn should be seeded. The late summer is also an excellent time to begin promoting better turf variety, such as those that are not so easily affected by insects, diseases, and hot weather. By taking the steps to overseed in the late summer or fall now, lawns will be more tolerant of disease, insects, and drought later.
- Take advantage of higher soil temperatures and plant early.
- Promote rapid establishment by water and fertilizing
- Wait until the lawn has been mowed about five times before using weed control
- Be sure to give your new lawn extra care through its entire first season.
To start the conversation about getting your best lawn, request a quote today!
- Seasonal Maintenance Program
- Top Outdoor Design Trends
- Let Us Do the Work for You
- How to Ensure Your Space is Practical and Functional
- Our Services at Gallivan Corporation
- Envision Your Property with Gallivan’s Design Capabilities
- Addressing Home and Business Safety with Outdoor Lighting and Pruning
- Fairways of Halfmoon – Before & After
- Three Reasons to Hard Prune Your Trees
- Massachusetts Condo Community – Before & After
- June 2017 (1)
- May 2017 (1)
- April 2017 (1)
- March 2017 (1)
- February 2017 (1)
- January 2017 (1)
- December 2016 (2)
- November 2016 (2)
- October 2016 (1)
- September 2016 (2)
- August 2016 (3)
- July 2016 (2)
- June 2016 (2)
- May 2016 (2)
- January 2016 (2)
- December 2015 (2)
- November 2015 (2)
- October 2015 (2)
- September 2015 (2)
- August 2015 (2)
- July 2015 (2)
- June 2015 (1)
- May 2015 (1)
- September 2014 (1)
- August 2014 (1)
- May 2014 (1)
- February 2014 (2)
- November 2012 (1)
- October 2011 (1)